Shit! I worked in that area when I moved out there, so I feel a ridiculous fondness for that goddamn well of memories of that whole sector. For example:
-Eddie Izzard slamming on the glass of Virgin Megastore with his fists
-Seeing Let the Right One In there, wishing there were more films like Let The Right One
-Seeing The Room, wishing there were less films like The Room
-Ringing out Geoffrey Rush, thinking “I’ve seen his penis”
-Eating overpriced pizza at California Pizza Kitchen
-Watching countless car accidents at Sunset and Crescent Heights
So long, old friend.
Seems like it was getting increasingly difficult for the theater to operate, with Arclight now premiering many of the same indie films about a mile down the road. Still, Sundance Kabuki is going to take over the old Sunset 5 space in Spring 2012.
Movies I saw here:
- Thumbsucker (alone)
- The Proposition (with my Dad)
- The first 10 minutes of Silver City before I walked out with Matt Wyatt
- Wind That Shakes the Barley (with a good friend and an ex-girlfriend)
- The Room (with many good friends)
- And probably ten more films. Good times.